Creating an Automated List of Figures in Word 2003
Just as it does when it builds a table of contents, Word 2003 builds an automated list of figures by extracting from the document the text you have indicated you want in the figure list, and then listing the text in the figure list along with the number of the page the figure is on.
The procedure that follows assumes you have figures in place in your document, but have no automated captions yet.
If you want to try this procedure on a practice document, open the Word 2003 List of Figures Practice Document.
To create an automated list of figures:
- Select the first figure in the document by clicking it.
- From the Insert menu, select Reference > Caption.
- In the Caption dialog box, make sure Figure is in the Label box.
- In the Caption box, type the caption.
- Click OK.
- Place the insertion point anywhere in the caption.
- On the Formatting toolbar, ensure the Caption style is in the Style box, and then left of the Style box click the Style icon.
- In the Styles dialog box, right-click the Caption style and select Modify.
- In the Modify Style dialog box, make the changes you want.
- Click OK in the open dialog boxes.
- Follow the preceding steps for each figure in the document.
- In the document, place the insertion point where you want the table of figures to begin.
- From the Insert menu, select Reference > Index and Tables.
- Click the Table of Figures tab.
- In the Table of Figures dialog box, click OK.
Update the table of figures
To update the table of figures after changing, adding, or deleting captions, or when page numbers have changed:
- Right-click in the body of the figure table, and then click Update Field.
- In the Update Table of Figures dialog box, select whether to update just the page numbers or the entire table, and then click OK.
Change the table of figures' appearance
If you want to change the appearance of your table of figures:
- Click anywhere in the body of the table of figures.
- In the Insert menu, point to Reference and click Index and Tables.
- In the Index and Tables dialog box, click the Table of Figures tab.
- Click the Modify button.
- In the Style dialog box, make the changes you need.
- In all open dialog boxes, click OK.
- When you are asked if you want to replace the table of figures, click OK.